12 December 2007

39 reasons why the 1970s were ace



Indulge me, please. These were the songs I picked and played on yesterday's 70s Night on KCFM 99.8. You can tune in each Tuesday (apart from nights when we have football commentary) via our website.

Rolling Stones "Brown Sugar"
Elgins "Heaven Must Have Sent You"
Glen Campbell "Rhinestone Cowboy"
Elvis Costello & the Attractions "I Don't Wanna Go To Chelsea"
*Cliff Richard "Power To All Our Friends"
*Jam "Down In The Tube Station At Midnight"
Dave Edmunds "I Hear You Knockin'"
Viola Wills "Gonna Get Along Without You Now"
Queen "Somebody To Love"
Donna Summer "Bad Girls"
Blackbyrds "Walking In Rhythm"
CCS "Tap Turns On The Water"
Chicago "If You Leave Me Now"
Lynyrd Skynyrd "Sweet Home Alabama"
Rod Stewart "You Wear It Well"
KC and the Sunshine Band "Queen Of Clubs"
John Lennon/Yoko Ono with the Plastic Ono Band "Instant Karma"
*John Miles "Music"
*Stranglers "No More Heroes"
O'Jays "Back Stabbers"
ELO "Rockaria"
Mink de Ville "Spanish Stroll"
Sherbet "Howzat"
Rose Royce "Love Don't Live Here Any More"
Anita Ward "Ring My Bell"
Shocking Blue "Venus"
Andrew Gold "Lonely Boy"
Tams "Hey Girl Don't Bother Me"
Suzi Quatro "Can The Can"
Stevie Wonder "Sir Duke"
**Elvis Presley "It Won't Seem Like Christmas Without You"
**Showaddywaddy "Hey Mr Christmas"
10cc "I'm Mandy Fly Me"
Supremes "Nathan Jones"
Ramones "Sheena Is A Punk Rocker"
Paul Simon "Take Me To The Mardi Gras"
Chic "Good Times"
Fox "S-S-Single Bed"
David Bowie "Heroes"

* Songs chosen as the artist(s) had played in the Hull and East Yorkshire area this week in a year of the 1970s.
** Part of a short-lived Christmas feature to showcase the festive songs of the 70s which weren't by Slade or Wizzard.

In the three months I've been doing this programme, the only artists I've found myself deliberately avoiding on the 70s Night are the Bay City Rollers.

3 comments:

Clair said...

Dear Mr DJ with the lovely quiffy hair,

Please play Afternoon Delight by the Starland Vocal Band for Rod Hulme, the man who took me to see Hull City at home in aroud 1984. They didn't score, and neither did I.

Woo
x

Matthew Rudd said...

Rod sure knows how to treat a girl. Mind you, the Tigers were useful in 1984 - you must have caught them on an off day..

Starland Vocal Band on the way...!

Andrew Glazebrook said...

I loved the 70's, my favourite time growing up then. I bought the &0's Scrapbook last year which features loads of cool 70's stuff !!