27 December 2007

Sale now on!



I'm sure some of our biggest retailers are trying to win a place in the Guinness Book of Records for the earliest-commencing "January" sale.

The inverted commas are there for a reason. The very idea of some shop re-opening to flog its unsold Christmas gear on as tardy a date as January 2nd is laughable now.

It eventually became December 27th, and now it's Boxing Day for many stores.

Fine, if you like.

I personally would rather spend Boxing Day watching Hull City win again (which they did - hazah) and then having a roast dinner with my parents (which I did - delicious). But if charging around shops purchasing stuff which was 60% more expensive two days earlier (and don't they love smugly pointing that out) is your bag for the day after Christmas, you go for it.

The biscuit has been re-taken this year, and the descendents of the McWhirter twins may well have to update their hallowed pages if the TV adverts I have observed are correct.

It begs one question:

Who the hell is foolish enough to be queuing outside their local PC World at 7am on Boxing Day?

7am!

The only reason I'm ever not in bed at 7am is for work reasons. Otherwise our bodies should be programmed to be very much under a duvet, in a deep state of unconsciousness, and dreaming about Karen Hardy off of Strictly Come Dancing and some faulty strapping on her frock.

Though that's a personal thing, admittedly.

These people who prefer to be outside bloody PC World at that time deserve to be in homes for the bewildered.

No high-quality, low-price Pentium Processor is that important, surely?

2 comments:

Steve said...

Even just watching nutters racing around stores on the news made my wife and I cringe in horror... we're not planning on going outside again until at least next week...

LF Barfe said...

I braved the commercial world today, because we needed some milk. Central Lowestoft was heaving. If the festive selection boxes of speciality cheeses had been knocked down in price, I might have taken advantage of the bargain, but I feel I've already done quite enough shopping this month to last me well into the New Year, thanks very much.

As for bivouacing outside PC World, I'm sure you'd be able to beat their sale prices most days of the week by shopping around online anyway.