31 January 2008

Jeremy Beadle


I wasn't a massive fan, but it's genuinely sad when a celebrity who formed much of one's adolescence, for reasons right or wrong, passes away at such a young age.

Out On Blue Six knows its stuff, so the deserved tribute is right there - click it when you can. Jack Kibble-White of TV Cream has also poignantly catalogued his thoughts on Beadle's sad demise.

For my part, I just remember the stick Beadle got from The Mary Whitehouse Experience ("in the old days, the act of forcing innocent people into a life of degradation and danger was known as press-ganging; nowadays it's known as Beadle's About"); Spitting Image (the "we all hate Jeremy Beadle" song) and Loose Talk (numerous witless insults from Kevin Day) and thinking even then that he didn't deserve it. It was the typical backlash against the mainstream, which is what Punt and Dennis, Hislop and Newman, Thomas and Day were about, but it seemed to be artless sticks and stones stuff for nobody's good. It's amazing how we were told he was universally despised, and yet his viewing figures were stratospheric. Someone was lying to us... and it wasn't Beadle.

His programmes weren't to my particular taste, but the prankster in him always seemed good-natured to me. I liked the man more than his shows, and I suspect that is quite hard for a personality to achieve.

3 comments:

Callum said...

Let's give him a big hand.

Clair said...

He was a clever man, and I think despised by certain types of media for making populist telly, which I loathed. Still, that's what pays, not being an intellectual. But one of the things he did was act as a radio producer of a show I used to do. FACT!

Steve said...

I had a sneaky admiration for the man. But at the same time I was always glad that I wasn't him... I'm sure he was a lovely bloke but he came over as unbearably smug on the TV. Not a crime though...