13 May 2008

"Out there the law's a-coming; I'm scared and so tired of running..."

The much-envied, long-trousered Five Centres was given the task of choosing the tracks for this week's 70s Night on KCFM. I asked for 42 songs, and he gave me far more than that, so some had to fall by the wayside. Showing musical taste and knowledge to match his comic timing and general human loveliness, this is how the F-C programme sounded...

M "Pop Muzik"
Middle Of The Road "Soley Soley"
Rah Band "The Crunch"
Bob and Marcia "Young Gifted And Black"
Terry Dactyl and the Dinosaurs "Seaside Shuffle"
Starland Vocal Band "Afternoon Delight"
Hello "Tell Him"
Frankie Valli "Grease"
Cher "Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves"
Buggles "Video Killed The Radio Star"
Wizzard "Ballpark Incident"
Driver 67 "Car 67"
Marmalade "Cousin Norman"
Terry Jacks "Seasons In The Sun"
Althia and Donna "Uptown Top Ranking"
Hotlegs "Neanderthal Man"
Billie Jo Spears "Blanket On The Ground"
Jilted John "Jilted John"
Mary MacGregor "Torn Between Two Lovers"
Hot Chocolate "I Believe (In Love)"
Sweet "Fox On The Run"
David Essex "Rock On"
New Seekers "I Get A Little Sentimental Over You"
Temptations "Ball Of Confusion"
Badfinger "Day After Day"
Abba "The Name Of The Game"
Status Quo "Down The Dustpipe"
Manhattan Transfer "Walk In Love"
Dolly Parton "Jolene"
ELO "10539 Overture"
Pluto Shervington "Dat"
Lobo "Me And You And A Dog Named Boo"
R Dean Taylor "Indiana Wants Me"
Bad Company "Feel Like Making Love"
Syreeta "Your Kiss Is Sweet"
Jigsaw "Sky High"
Samantha Sang "Emotion"
Steeleye Span "All Around My Hat"
Judie Tzuke "Stay With Me Til Dawn"
Joe Jackson "Is She Really Going Out With Him"
Dawn "Candida"
Stevie Wonder "He's Misstra Know It All"

And - brace yourself - here are the songs from F-C's list we rejected (for good reasons, actually - unavailability, unsuitability, duplication from last week's show - or just entirely the wrong decade...!)

Mike Oldfield "Portsmouth"
Tonight "Drummer Man"
New World "Kara Kara"
Ramblers "The Sparrow Song"
Whispers "And The Beat Goes On"
Arrival "I Will Survive"
Boomtown Rats "Diamond Smiles"
Glitter Band "The Tears I Cried"
Flying Lizards "Money"
Gerry Rafferty "Night Owl"
Eagles "New Kid In Town"
Wings "Helen Wheels"
Fiddler's Dram "Day Trip To Bangor"

A Five Centres production for KCFM 99.8.

4 comments:

Five-Centres said...

Oh how I wish I'd been there!

Thanks Matt, I really enjoyed compiling it, hope you enjoyed doing it.

Chris Hughes said...

I would have love to have heard this, if KCFM's listen live facility hadn't been down (gnash, wail). I don't think I've heard Emotion by Samantha Sing since it came out. My sister won a copy at a funfair.

Does this mean we can't listen to you interview John Helm on Thursday, either?

Matthew Rudd said...

F-C, it was a pleasure. I did get a mild panic attack during Terry Dactyl, but otherwise I enjoyed all you chose.

Chris, the John Helm interview will be available as a Podcast before long so I'll be in touch when it's uploaded.

Planet Mondo said...

These are the sort of tunes that should be played at weddings etc.. not 'Uptown Girl', 'Chain Reaction'and similar old clunk.

I did a 10 hour DJ set at a family party last year - and managed to avoid most of the usual suspects. I may have the playlists somewhere