29 June 2008

All 80s, All Night

If you'd attended my 80s night last night at the club in Stockport at 11pm and stayed until chucking out at 3.05am, this is what you'd have enjoyed/endured:

Kool and the Gang "Celebration"
Fatback Band "I Found Lovin'"
Detroit Spinners "Working My Way Back To You"
Earth, Wind and Fire "Let's Groove"
Imagination "Just An Illusion"
Mary Jane Girls "All Night Long"
Womack and Womack "Teardrops"
Pointer Sisters "I'm So Excited"
Shalamar "A Night To Remember"
Evelyn Thomas "High Energy"
Whitney Houston "How Will I Know"
Diana Ross "Chain Reaction"
Lionel Richie "Dancing On The Ceiling"
Billy Ocean "When The Going Gets Tough, The Tough Get Going"
Colonel Abrams "Trapped"
Prince "Raspberry Beret"
Luther Vandross "Never Too Much"
Michael Jackson "Billie Jean"
Bob Marley and the Wailers "Could You Be Loved"
UB40 and Chrissie Hynde "I Got You Babe"
KC and the Sunshine Band "Give It Up"
Simply Red "Money's Too Tight To Mention"
Level 42 "Lessons In Love"
Wham! "Everything She Wants"
Culture Club "Karma Chameleon"
Kajagoogoo "Too Shy"
Haircut 100 "Love Plus One"
Pet Shop Boys and Dusty Springfield "What Have I Done To Deserve This"
Erasure "A Little Respect"
Duran Duran "Girls On Film"
Spandau Ballet "Gold"
Soft Cell "Tainted Love"
Human League "Don't You Want Me"
Talk Talk "It's My Life"
Depeche Mode "Just Can't Get Enough"
Dexys Midnight Runners "Geno"
Specials "Too Much Too Young"
Madness "Embarrassment"
Jam "Going Underground"
Housemartins "Happy Hour"
Smiths "This Charming Man"
Aztec Camera "Oblivious"
U2 "Pride (In The Name Of Love)"
Simple Minds "Don't You (Forget About Me)"
Bon Jovi "Livin' On A Prayer"
Guns n Roses "Sweet Child O' Mine"
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts "I Love Rock n Roll"
Blondie "Atomic"
Katrina and the Waves "Walking On Sunshine"
Kim Wilde "Kids In America"
Nena "99 Red Balloons"
Madonna "Holiday"
Tiffany "I Think We're Alone Now"
Donna Summer "This Time I Know It's For Real"
Irene Cara "Flashdance ... What A Feeling"
Dolly Parton "9 To 5"
Starsound "Stars On 45" (Abba Version)
Cyndi Lauper "Girls Just Want To Have Fun"
Laura Branigan "Gloria"
Bananarama "Shy Boy"
Nolans "I'm In The Mood For Dancing"
Ottawan "Hands Up (Give Me Your Heart)"
Kenny Loggins "Footloose"
George Harrison "Got My Mind Set On You"
Billy Joel "Uptown Girl"
Shakin' Stevens "This Ole House"
Tight Fit "The Lion Sleeps Tonight"
* LAST ORDERS AT THE BAR PLEASE! *
David Bowie "Modern Love"
Dire Straits "Walk Of Life"
Dr and the Medics "Spirit In The Sky"
* TIME AT THE BAR PLEASE! *
Phil Collins "Against All Odds (Take A Look At Me Now)"

Yep, we end with the slow arse-clinching 80s ballad, though while some couples smooch, most people just tend to sing it at the top of their voices.

I'd say about 60% of the above are must-plays every week, though with some I'll keep the artist and change the song. I never play the same artist twice (not since the hours were reduced from 4am finish to 3am) and have never, ever played the same song twice. I could easily do another four hours with a totally new set.

Publicising a playlist isn't always useful - I once rang up a club in Hull asking for work, so they told me to send a sample playlist through. I did - and they nicked the playlist without hiring me to play it.

So, would you be feeling the beat to the rhythm of this night?

11 comments:

Planet Mondo said...

What no?
D Train - 'You're The One For Me'
Rocker's Revenge - 'Walking On Sunshine'
Freeze - 'I.O.U'

Matthew Rudd said...

The latter two (it's Freeez, you of all folk should know that Mondo!) are semi-regulars on the setlist but didn't happen to make it last Saturday.

I've never played D Train and never will.

Bright Ambassador said...

"So, would you be feeling the beat to the rhythm of this night?"

Unsurprisingly, no. Got any Quo?

Matthew Rudd said...

I played The Wanderer once. I've never seen a dancefloor empty so quickly.

Bright Ambassador said...

I meant PROPER Quo. Down Down, Caroline, Rollover Lay Down, Whatver You Want etc.

Matthew Rudd said...

Bit difficult when it's an 80s night, BA. All those were hits in thr 70s.

Bright Ambassador said...

I hate the 80s, so I'm not going. So there! *crosses arms in manner of petulant child*






Heh-heh.

Matthew Rudd said...

Long way from Newark anyway. Mind you, everywhere's a long way from Newark.

Bright Ambassador said...

Says the man from Hull...

Woo-hoo!

Matthew Rudd said...

I was thinking in a spiritual sense, not just geographical...


Heh.

Bright Ambassador said...

So was I