26 June 2008

"Well, slide over here..."

I've just played Lucky Stars by Dean Friedman and Denise Marsa on the radio. It's one of those songs that people either adore or detest. I'm in the former category.

For the last couple of years the song has reminded me of the organised karaoke night I attended in London with loads of other TV Cream staffers and associates, including the owners of this blog, this one, this one, this one, this one and this one. Oh, and this one.

In its more familiar surroundings, karaoke is an abomination, but if you book a private karaoke party at designated premises rather than just wail Tears Of A Clown while pissed up at your local, it can be enormous fun. This is what we did, at a place which also trebled up as a bowling alley and general amusement centre.

I have photographic evidence of two of our blogging heroes singing the aforementioned Lucky Stars. With or without photos, the memory of that still makes me howl with laughter. I have a photo of Clair and I duetting on Don't Go Breaking My Heart. I have a pic of F-C impersonating Kate Bush's dancing. There are plenty of others. Start the bidding.

At one point I could have sworn that Kevin Rowland was in the room, such was the accuracy of Steve's impersonation during Geno. My favourite memory, however, remains the attempt by Phil at singing the seminal Atmosphere by Russ Abbot without knowing any of the melody at all, hence his switch to Songs Of Joy and Tears Of Laughter during the first verse.

Can we do another one soon, please?

6 comments:

Clair said...

Oh, that was a good night, wasn't it? Funnily enough,I was trying to get a karaoke thingy together for tomorrow night but only had one taker. It's the Marmite of entertainment, you love it or hate it.

Five-Centres said...

There is talk of another TVCream one, perhaps even for the next time we meet!

But if those photos see the light of day I'm suing.

Clair said...

...specially the ones where I look like the 'before' in an anti-perspirant ad.

Bright Ambassador said...

Some people say that Slayer play the music of Satan. I'd say Satan's music is Lucky Stars at a karaoke night.

Matthew Rudd said...

I've got rid of the animated karaoke picture because it was starting to irritate me. Not sure I could sound as irritated as BA though...

jermaine said...

I agree totally with you karaoke needs a place and theme at our college Christmas event we're planning a themed karaoke event in the student union and have found a great site to make up a custom karaoke CD for our disco party. We've also done one with all the christmassy ones on! feed the world has got to be done with at least a dozen drunk people passing the mic. I'm really looking forward to it!