13 August 2008

Twenty notes down

I'm sure we've all done this.

I went to the cashpoint, put the card in, entered the appropriate PIN, selected the option to withdraw cash, took my card out again - and clean forgot to pick up the money. I just walked away, head in the clouds.

Five minutes later, I realised my error and hurtled back to the hole-in-the-wall where, naturally, someone had collected my twenty quid.

Good for them. Nobody was about and it was their great good luck. I had to withdraw another score from the machine, feeling decidedly irritated by my absent-mindedness. I'd had a busy day and there is much going through my mind right now.

Like I say, I'm sure we've all done this...

6 comments:

Valentine Suicide said...

We all have, mate. Mine was fifty if, that's any consolation?

Bright Ambassador said...

I did it just the other week at the ATM inside the bank. I was so engrossed in reading my mini statement that I forgot to collect the money. Fortunately I was still inside when a kindly couple handed it to me. Which kind of restores your faith in human nature, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

Hello, I'm a long time lurker (does that fill you with dread?)

Have you contacted the bank? I did the same a while back and they reimbursed me (perhaps the nicest thing Barclays ever did for me). If you don't take the cash after a certain time then it'll go back into the machine. Of course it's possible someone swiped it but they'll probably have cctv to check that...

Matthew Rudd said...

Lurkers? Filling me with dread? Nah, all are welcome.

Tip top advice, thank you - sadly I was using an RBS card in a Lloyds TSB machine, therefore I'm not sure whether those two banks would work together to a) reimburse the money and/or b) find the person who took it. Anyway, I don't regard anyone who removes unclaimed notes from a cash machine a thief, even though theft-by-finding does exist. I'll just learn the harsh lesson, I think.

Anonymous said...

It might be worth a go... I used my card in a RBS machine and I was banking with Barclays at the time, it just might work!

Mark X said...

I'm pretty sure that if no-one takes the money sticking out of a cashpoint within a minute or so, the machine will swallow it back up. There was some commentary about this in a recent B3TA newsletter - http://www.b3ta.com/newsletter/issue325/ - see "THE GREAT B3TA CASH MACHINE DEBATE". Essentially, contact the bank, tell them where and (if possible) when the cash was withdrawn, and if that information agrees with what was logged by the machine, you should get your £20 back.