14 November 2008

Out with the old

My parents are having a small clearout, and one of the items on the condemned list was their old hi-fi that they've had about 15 years. It's still pretty good to look at but they've upgraded now to one of those the size of a thimble, so the old system has no further use.

Dad and I therefore transported it - speakers, cabinet and all - to the local hospice charity shop. As Dad chatted to the woman behind the counter, I had a sneak look at the large row of LPs and 12" singles they had. I'd never been in this charity shop before, but soon it was obvious it was a little goldmine, full of compilation albums and extended plays from the 1980s that F-C and I would pore over for hours. I intend to go back when I have a little more time to peruse them further.

As with all such stores, there was a large array of old clothing, particularly lots of pairs of jeans. Numerous household items, accessories and toys adorned the other shelves. Amusingly, the clock on the wall had a handwritten warning notice next to it saying: "ATTENTION! THIS IS THE SHOP'S CLOCK AND IS NOT FOR SALE" which tickled me.

Given that a record player - which people are buying again, judging by the two second-hand ones which have been installed for one of the other DJs at my club - was part of the old hi-fi system we'd just donated, I suppose I'd better get my skates on if I'm going to thumb through those long players a bit more. Maybe some 80s freak like me has been waiting for the hospice to ring them with the words: "You can come and collect your records now as we've just been given something to play them on."

Also on the clearout list, which they found by accident (and is of no use to a charity shop) is this.


My mum's first mobile phone. She said she was given it by her forward-thinking employer in 1992 but barely used it.

I know it's easy and unoriginal to laugh at old cellphones, but compare it with the one she has now.


The only tragedy is that Dad also has a modern mobile but, as a man who never properly learned how to programme the video and still asks me for advice about his computer, his knowledge of mobile phone technology extends to switching it on. When he can remember to.

3 comments:

Clair said...

HA! That was the first moby I used, too. We had it for work. I didn't realise you had to have it switched on before people could ring you...

Five-Centres said...

There's nothing I love more than piles of records in charity shops. I'd like to own one, purely for my own pleasure.

Bright Ambassador said...

What's even more fascinating is that the 1992 mobile probably contained as much computing power as the computer systems that put a man on the moon.