9 November 2010

Moments in soul

I appear to be in Playlist City, Arizona this week. Here's what we managed at Friday's second of three classic soul, funk and disco nights. The next one is in December.

Mtume "Juicy Fruit"



Velvelettes "I Can't Dance To That Music You're Playing"

Stevie Wonder "Signed Sealed Delivered I'm Yours"

Phil Fearon & Galaxy "Dancing Tight"

Isley Brothers "Harvest For The World"

Ike and Tina Turner "River Deep Mountain High"

Hot Chocolate "You Could've Been A Lady"

Mai Tai "History"

Supremes "Stoned Love"

Ohio Players "Love Rollercoaster"



Maceo & the Macks "Cross The Tracks"

Womack & Womack "Love Wars"

Untouchables "Agent Double O Soul"

The Real Thing "Can You Feel The Force?"

Sam & Dave "You Don't Know Like I Know"

Amii Stewart "Friends"

Gladys Knight & the Pips "Take Me In Your Arms And Love Me"



Chic "My Forbidden Lover"

Vesta Williams "Once Bitten Twice Shy"

Temptations "Papa Was A Rolling Stone"

Grace Jones "Slave To The Rhythm"

Cerrone "Supernature"



Rare Earth "Born To Wander"

Billy Ocean "Red Light Spells Danger"

Coffee "Casanova"

Jimmy Ruffin "What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted"

Shalamar "I Can Make You Feel Good"

Bob & Earl "Harlem Shuffle"



Michael Jackson "Rock With You"

Martha and the Vandellas "Heatwave"

Kool & the Gang "Too Hot"

Curtis Mayfield "Move On Up"

Len Barry "1-2-3"

Labelle "Lady Marmalade"

Smokey Robinson & the Miracles "Going To A Go-Go"

Drifters "Saturday Night At The Movies"

Aretha Franklin "Respect"

George Benson "Give Me The Night"

Crusaders "Street Life"

Fontella Bass "Rescue Me"

Claudja Barry "Sweet Dynamite"

Isley Brothers "This Old Heart Of Mine"

Tina Turner "Let's Stay Together"

Jackie Wilson "Higher And Higher"

Supremes "The Happening"

New Edition "Candy Girl"

Heatwave "The Groove Line"



Showstoppers "Ain't Nothing Like A House Party"

Michael Jackson "Off The Wall"

Blackbyrds "Walking In Rhythm"

Tom Jones "The Lonely One"

Whitney Houston "I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)"

Stevie Wonder "Superstition"

Gloria Jones "Tainted Love"



Earth Wind & Fire "September"

Temptations "Get Ready"

Narada Michael Walden "I Shoulda Loved Ya"

Wilson Pickett "Mustang Sally"

Candi Staton "Nights On Broadway"

Mary Wells "My Guy"

Prince "When Doves Cry"

Sam & Dave "Soul Man"

Commodores "Machine Gun"

Valentine Brothers "Money's Too Tight To Mention"

Supremes "You Can't Hurry Love"

James Brown "I Got You (I Feel Good)"

Luther Vandross "I Really Didn't Mean It"



Four Tops "I Can't Help Myself"

Donna Summer "Bad Girls"

Arthur Conley "Sweet Soul Music"

KC & the Sunshine Band "That's The Way I Like It"

Temptations "Ain't Too Proud To Beg"

Sister Sledge "Lost In Music"

Al Wilson "The Snake"

Stevie Wonder "We Can Work It Out"

Deniece Williams "Let's Hear It For The Boy"

O'Jays "Love Train"

Wilson Pickett "In The Midnight Hour"

Marvin Gaye & Tammi Tyrrell "You're All I Need To Get By"

Bill Withers "Lovely Day"

Freda Payne "Band Of Gold"

Pointer Sisters "I Need You"



Bobby Fuller "The Magic Touch"

Cameo "Single Life"

Gladys Knight & the Pips "Midnight Train To Georgia"

Otis Redding "(Sitting On The) Dock Of The Bay"

Marvin Gaye "I Heard It Through The Grapevine"

Dionne Warwick "Walk On By"

Thanks for all the suggestions and anything you happen not to see above probably got played the week before. The two nights have gone down pretty well so far, despite the odd person claiming that Wilson Pickett is shit and not a patch on Ne'Yo. I laughed too. Highlight for me was seeing a group of five blokes aged no more than 30 each going totally mental (in a good way) to the Commodores.

I hope you'd dance.

1 comment:

Mondo said...

I stumbled across this discolicious cover last week Patrick Duvet (him of I Love America) reworking two Ian Dury tunes with some mirrorball magic. You can get the 12" for around £6 on ebay..S&D&R&R