2 June 2011

Lager than life

I love the story about Tesco marking up a special offer on ale incorrectly, leading to a mad stampede from customers to take up the deal.

It should have said "buy three crates and save £11" but actually said "buy three crates for £11". So you could get essentially 36 cans of lager for eleven quid. I've done the maths; it's about 31p a can.

Stuff like that never happens round my way and, although I like my ale, I'm not sure a badly-placed decimal point would get me round my local Tesco (actually, I don't really have a local Tesco; make it Asda instead) in an instant. I was more jealous of those who took advantage of an unwitting petrol offer a few weeks back, where a garage placed the . in the wrong place and sold the fuel for 13.49p a litre for quite some time before anyone noticed the anomaly.

What I did find amusing what that this occurred in two or three Tesco stores in Scotland, thereby not remotely enforcing any stereotypes about the Scots' liking for intoxicating liquor whatsoever, obviously. You know, the kind they object to quite a lot when mentioned on telly. Yet here we have stories of stampedes, police being called and of teenage girls seeing their fathers race from their homes like bats out of hell when casually mentioning what was going on.

I can imagine them stacking up the Stella in the same way Eddie Hitler had stacked up the Malibu on carnival night. "You'd have to get up pretty early in the morning to catch out uncle Eddie!"

Chin chin.

2 comments:

Ishouldbeworking said...

I always thought that the marked price on any item did not constitute a tacit contract but rather an 'invitation to treat', meaning in effect that the customer may move to offer the marked amount, but that the seller is at liberty to refuse the offer if they choose to (if, for example, the price marked is incorrect.). I thought it was in the Sale of Goods Act. And as such, I one shouted down a woman who was demanding a pair of earrings for the (incorrect) price marked on them, when I was a student doing my holiday job.

She ended up apologising, and I felt great. I MUST have been in the right. I MUST.

Simon said...

ISBW: You were, but in an instance like this the publicity is worth more than Tesco would have lost in the cock-up.