28 December 2011

That's Asda price


Back to one of my bugbears, but with a rare positive slant. I'm one of many thousands of drivers who, I'm sure, feel quite grateful towards Asda.

A couple of months back, Asda brought down the price of its unleaded petrol to 129.9 pence per litre. This sort of price hasn't been seen, even in the forecourts of the traditionally cheaper supermarkets, for some time. I was dedicated straightaway to finding branches of Asda whenever my car needed one of its many refuellings, with a Hull branch of Asda handily having a 24-hour garage with self-service pumps.

After a short while, the other fuel outlets began to follow suit. Other supermarkets have dropped their fuel down to below 130p a litre, while Shell and Texaco garages - though not all - have also cut their prices. The cheapest Esso and Total filling stations I've encountered have managed to take themselves to 130.9 pence per litre. Only BP - which has an oil leak to pay for - remains high above the Asda benchmark, with the lowest I've seen 132.9 pence per litre. Some are still as high as 138.9 pence. I'm amazed when I see car drivers using their pumps. Then there are the many brands that operate at motorway service stations who currently feel unaffected by Asda's efforts and continue to charge crazy money - I'm pretty certain that if Asda somehow publicised its branches that are based close to motorways, they'd get traffic prepared to briefly turn off and fill up there.

129.9 pence is still far too expensive of course - I always point to episodes of Top Gear that are under three years old that show pumps charging 99.9 pence per litre - but Asda have at least made a start, and have recently upped the ante further by getting down to 128.7 pence. It proves that these fuel companies will charge only what customers are prepared to pay, despite them banging on about Government duty and the rising price of oil. I really hope that Asda, with all the good publicity and goodwill attained by their actions, will dare go for it again soon and whack down their prices further. In the meantime, it's quite nice to be able to fill the car to the brim and not see that day's wages almost entirely vanish in doing so.

3 comments:

Lee Slator said...

Another petrol station for you to look for on your travels is Sainsbury's at the White Rose Shopping Centre. It fits your criteria of being close to the motorway (I think) and is consistently the cheapest in Leeds. Currently the price of unleaded there is 128.9.

I use that one majority of the time as it's considerably cheaper than filling up locally to me.

office pest said...

The link below is to a useful site, and you can also get a daily email with an update of fuel prices from one or more post code areas:

http://www.petrolprices.com/

Subscribing to it does not seem to provoke any spam, either.

Anonymous said...

Consider yourself fortunate; I live out in the sticks and as a result, have a fairly hefty fuel bill due to the daily commute to civilisation to get to work. Being out in the sticks though, means that that petrol stations charge whatever they damn well please for fuel, in the absence of any supermarkets within a 50 mile radius. Consequently, I'm overjoyed when I find fuel at 138.9; the norm round here is 145.9 and I've even seen it at 148.9. I 'ate it 'ere...